- THE MEDIEVAL CALENDAR: The medieval calendar served as a map of the Church year. While following the method of the Roman calendar in determining dates, it also listed saints’ days and other religious feasts and recorded the phases of the moon. Many calendars also featured related illustrations of saints, feasts, monthly labors, leisure activities, and signs of the zodiac.
- MAKING MANUSCRIPTS: An illuminated manuscript is a book written and decorated completely by hand. Illuminated manuscripts were among the most precious objects produced in the Middle Ages and the early Renaissance, primarily in monasteries and courts. Society’s rulers–emperors, kings, dukes, cardinals, and bishops–commissioned the most splendid manuscripts.
- THE STRUCTURE OF A MEDIEVAL MANUSCRIPT: For more than a thousand years all manuscripts were written and illustrated by hand. By the Middle Ages, books were being made by folding sheets of parchment, arranging them into gatherings, and assembling and binding them together. This animation from the Getty Museum illustrates how medieval books were constructed–a feat of engineering that remains essentially the same today.
- The Hidden Masters of the Middle Ages: THE LIMBOURG BROTHERS: The three Limbourg brothers painted landscapes and portraits with a precision that was unheard of in their time. They gave us the first snowy landscape in the history of painting, smoke from a chimney, skies full of clouds, a proper night scene, paintings with perspective. The Limbourg brothers were way ahead of their time with these innovations; their medieval art set the trend for modern painting.
- PENS, PAINT-MAKING, AND ILLUMINATION – NYPL’s Three Faiths Scriptorium: Watch how bird feathers are carved into quills, how paint is made, and how gold is added to illuminate manuscripts in this video from the Scriptorium at The New York Public Library’s “Three Faiths” exhibition.
- THE BOOK OF KELLS – Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 : Around the year 750, Irish monks laboring in isolation on a tiny island of Iona of Scotland’s west coast began work on a book that would outlast empires, a book that many say may be the greatest illustrated version of the Gospels ever made.
- SOBRE CONSERVACIÓN DE DOCUMENTOS – Part 1, 2 : Conservación de antiguos documentos. Consejos para su conservación e historia de los documentos.
- Biblioteca Nacional de España: “Los Beatos de la Biblioteca Nacional”, “La imprenta” y “La encuadernación”.
- Illuminations: The Private Lives of Medieval Kings (BCC).
- The Processes of Book-Binding: This video explains and demonstrates the different processes used in bookbinding. The Chelsea Bindery specialises in fine binding, preservation boxes and book restoration, offering a traditional leather bookbinding and conservation service using hand finishing and the finest materials. For more information about the services offered by the bindery see the Chelsea Bindery homepage.
Derepalaeographica youtube channel